Writing a grant and feeling like it’s not quite there? Here are some top mistakes to check your proposal for and fix before you submit!
- Length (too short if it’s missing components; too long if I forgot what I read 5 minutes ago)
- Vague (use examples! numbers! color!)
- Dry (a little passion is good)
- Leaving the reader with questions (anticipate and attack!)
- Generic (target your funder)
- Confusing goals and objectives
- Not following directions
- Inconsistencies (are all of your numbers and program names the same?)
These are my personal observations and suggestions that I share in my class How to Write a Grant Proposal at the Brooklyn Brainery. If you want more tips like these, stay tuned for the next class and browse my other nonprofit blog posts!